On a monthly basis, Millennial Writer Life will send out writing opportunities ranging from pitches, fellowships, and residencies. Feel free to share links with friends or better yet, forward this email to them!
PLACES TO PITCH
- LUX MAGAZINE | “Lux, a new magazine on socialist feminism, is looking for pitches of reporting, personal essays, and op-eds on politics, culture, video games, speculative design, and all things anti-capitalist from BIPOC writers for their May print issue. The rates are $1 per word for reported features and $.50 per word for most other things. Send pitches to firstname.lastname@example.org.” (Found of StudyHallz Newsletter)
- VICE | Wants essays, reported features, and service journalism on relationships, sex, health, labor, and community for their Life desk. Rate is $0.50 per word for assignments of 800–1,500 words. Send pitches to email@example.com with “pitch” in the subject line.
- SF GATE | “Freelancer writers, take note of my meme! I need culture pitches for @SFGate. Smart essays about shows/movies premiering in March/April, profiles on SF characters/subcultures, experiential stuff. Examples below, $150–300+, email me!”
- TOM’S GUIDE | “Hi freelance buddies! @tomsguide is looking for pitches. We pay really well, much better than a lot of other places. DM me for my email!”
- CODE SWITCH | Apply to a fellow. May be digital or in person. | Application notes, “This one-of-a-kind opportunity will provide the ability to work alongside the Code Switch hosts, producers and editors and to learn and explore the journalism and storytelling at NPR and Code Switch. The Fellow will be an active participant as we bring complex, nuanced stories to our growing and devoted audience.”
- MASHABLE | Entertainment Fellow. | “This is not an internship; this is a chance to work with the best in digital media, learn the systems we use, and get a better understanding of our brands, content, and business model. Fellows will benefit from hands-on experience working with team leaders on valuable projects that move our company forward. With available positions across multiple departments, from monetization and marketing to analytics and editorial, Fellows will apply fresh and forward-thinking insights to real-life needs.”
- FIRE ISLAND ARTIST RESIDENCY | “Now in its seventh season in the secluded community of Cherry Grove, NY, a historic LGBTQ settlement of Fire Island, five emerging artists will share a live/workspace for a four-week program marked by intimate studio visits with, and public lectures by, renowned leaders in contemporary art and curation.” | Due April 2 | $40 application fee
- BOMB Magazine offers a seasonal list of residencies and fellowships to apply to.
- I recently made a video about my experience being an artist in residence with The Studios of Key West. Check it out below.
WRITING RESOURCE RECOMMENDATIONS
- The Ambitious Writer | Newsletter
- Before and After the Book Deal by Courtney Maum } Book
- Writers On Artists: Hanif Abdurraqib in conversation with Devonté Hynes
Originally published at https://princeshakur.substack.com.